Let your memory be your travel bag.

Let your memory be your travel bag.

Friday, July 25, 2014

Lady of the lake

“The Mountain is calling, and I must go.”
Every time I am invited to a climb my first reaction was to say No; I am more a beach person having spent my university days in Panay, an island surrounded with pristine white beaches. Yet, everything changed when I had the chance to climb Mt. Melibingoy and discovered the alluring and serene beauty of Lake Holon. My first glimpse of the ethereal lake awed me beyond my imagination that you could compose a poem for her on an instant. And what I felt was beyond description. The spell of the place was forever etched in my mind; it was a perfect harmony between human and nature. I needed to come back here, a place where I felt at most peace with myself.


A longing that was answered a year later when my cousin invited me to join TAKLADTAMIG DIES a climb for a cause organized by FHM (Friends of Melibingoy and Holon). I was pretty ecstatic and excited that I had nights dreaming her. When the fateful day came, I was up early to prepare my things, myself and meet my friend who will join me to conquer the mighty Melibingoy once again. Together with the participants under MTC (Mindanao Tourism Council), we met our local organizers in T’boli, South Cotabato. Upon arriving at the place, a dump truck (Seriously a dump truck, I never saw it coming. Hahah!) was waiting to transport us at Sitio Kule, our jump-off point for the climb and where our outreach will take place. After the usual protocol and registration, we are off to go.

The ride to Sitio Kule was not a pleasant one, nevertheless it was very memorable, heart stopping and thrilling experience. Why? Given the fact that the road is unpaved and uneven, our truck almost flipped 180 degrees. Don’t worry, it didn’t happen considering I’m making this article. 
The warm welcome of the t’boli community was overwhelming; they even prepared a feast and a program for us in their own ways. 




After our community lunch, the organizers gathered us for last minute instructions. Given the fact that we will not take the usual trail but a hunter’s trail, I was thrilled for the adventure that awaits us since it’s a 4 to 5 hours trek to the lake. The first hour of the climb went smoothly albeit having a 15 liters of weight at my back, but as the hour progresses I was already extremely tired, thanks to the very challenging path we had. My shirt was soaked with sweat and dirt; and my knees was bruised having almost kissed a rock as big as a little nipa hut while trying to climb it to progress with my trail. My friends tried to persuade me to hand my bag to a local but stubborn as I could be, I refused saying that it won’t be a real climb for me if I load off my bag to a porter. As we advanced our way I was more becoming tired that I had few brushes with a fatal casualty, it was a real “buwis-buhay” scenario for me. I almost quit yet I taunted myself that if our climb is the way of life I will never come out as victorious, with this new resolve I summoned up all my strength to stand up and continue. I never gave in, I had to do this, and I had to finish this journey. As I was nearing my destination I almost weep, my body is aching all over; my feet was turning into a jelly; I’m thirsty and freaking hungry.  Then a cool breeze of wind hits my face, she welcomed me, the ethereal lake Holon. I had reach my haven, a place where my soul, my heart and mind meets. 

After setting up my tent I grab the opportunity to rest while waiting for others. Having my tent in front of the lake I had the picturesque view worth of a postcard and thousand words.
The night came, we had our little social which includes introducing ourselves and giving out of certificates. Since we are all tired of the day’s activities we had an early lights off, after all we went there not to party but to enjoy the serenity of the place. Morning came and we have to prepare for descend, I woke up early to enjoy the lake in its morning glory, take pictures and appreciate the magnificence of the place.


The hour came to bid our farewell, with my last glimpse of the ethereal lake a promised was made to see her again after a year. A promise that will be materialized on March 2015 when she will be opened again for the public. 

Learning Insights: Our journey here on earth is similar to my journey to Lake Holon. It was not an easy one, you will stumble; get hurt; run out of breath; but life is not about how many times you fall but how many times you stand up and fight your way to reach your goal. You also need to remember that you couldn’t do it on your own, once in a while you need to ask help from others for you to enjoy the things life offers you. After all, you should live for the journey not the destination. 

5 comments:

  1. you're using Wordpress in this blog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Arnee thanks for the sharing...hopefully in my next trip to Lake Sebu this will be my destination...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you bro.arman for taking time to read my article about lake holon. you should see her in the future. :)

      Delete